Newbie question - mainsheet systems?

Started by Johnno, March 01, 2013, 08:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Scott

Quote from: Jim Sears on March 05, 2013, 12:52:59 AM
I experimented with a VX-One type system and LOVED it!  As you can see in the photo, I didn't need a single piece of extra hardware.  I just moved the forward bridle to the back and used the extra block I had removed from the spin take-up system.  Keeps boom centered, and when the breeze was up, it was SO nice having the 3-1purchase at the end of the boom.  Down-side: couldn't really pump the main while going downwind.  Up-side:  you can move the mid-boom turning block WAY forward to get more room to tack the tiller extension.  You can see I added a little "gybing line" down from the mid-boom block to help pull the main across quickly.  This is the system I would love the class adopt as a one-design.   

-Jimbo

In puffy conditions with waves, I think you would be passed downwind. We tried this set up in Marblehead where we have nice rollers to catch a ride on. Its slow downwind. Its critical to play the main with less purchase.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Jeff Jones

but if are too aggressive with the main, you might end up on your side (eh mambo)

Quote from: Justin Scott on March 06, 2013, 12:31:32 PM
I experimented with a VX-One type system and LOVED it!  As you can see in the photo, I didn't need a single piece of extra hardware.  I just moved the forward bridle to the back and used the extra block I had removed from the spin take-up system.  Keeps boom centered, and when the breeze was up, it was SO nice having the 3-1purchase at the end of the boom.  Down-side: couldn't really pump the main while going downwind.  Up-side:  you can move the mid-boom turning block WAY forward to get more room to tack the tiller extension.  You can see I added a little "gybing line" down from the mid-boom block to help pull the main across quickly.  This is the system I would love the class adopt as a one-design.   

-Jimbo

In puffy conditions with waves, I think you would be passed downwind. We tried this set up in Marblehead where we have nice rollers to catch a ride on. Its slow downwind. Its critical to play the main with less purchase.

Lee Shuckerow

Quote from: Jeff Jones on March 06, 2013, 01:10:06 PM
but if are too aggressive with the main, you might end up on your side (eh mambo)

Zing!
Jackpot  #235

Matt Sole

-Jimbo

I had this system for a while (before it became totally illegal), it is by far the best system and worked perfectly. I battled for a couple of years to try and get this system legalised before I realised the thinking heads couldn't think out side the box and realise the benefits. Now its on the VX One and everyone is ohhing and ahhing over it. (Was on my boat way before the VX was developed I think they stole the idea from me)

I actually had mine a little slicker than yours but that is because I designed the main sheet system that way then switched to the average legal system.

It was not outlawed because of complexity (that old duffers like drew are scared of) but because it had a small leverage advantage.  i.e. Less sheet tension in your hand for the same leech tension. My argument was that if it was leaglised the majority of the class would gravitate towards that system. It also costs nothing to change over to and only takes 5 minutes to execute.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Matt Sole

Quote from: Justin Scott on March 06, 2013, 12:31:32 PM

What I always did was to cleat off the sheet in a loose position and grab the sheet on the boom and just use the inside block as a 2:1 for the run. Super fast to pump on the waves.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Glenn Vanheel

Illegal? Pics from the front page!
F'ing Walker!

Dave Nickerson

Photos from 2008? (Justin in Newport) and 2009 (Griffin in St. Pete).  Different rule at that point in time.
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Glenn Vanheel

Thanks Dave,
I'm Switching from mid boom split to rear split. Seems the top boats prefer rear boom split. Someone should Probably should take take those pictures down. I know of one boat using that system and I'm sure the left coast tech committee will have a talk with him.

F'ing Walker!

Jim Sears

"What I always did was to cleat off the sheet in a loose position and grab the sheet on the boom and just use the inside block as a 2:1 for the run. Super fast to pump on the waves."

I like that idea Matt!  That was the only reason I didn't like the VX-Sole system... shall we try to get this rule passed again?
F.N.G.
USA-148
SoCal

Jason Hyerstay

When I was testing the aft bridle/aft split-tail system, I used an extra set of attachment points that were on #42, which were like D rings on the aft gunnel corners. These were where I tied the split tail ends. I only recently realized that these attachment points were not on other boats, as we used them all the time when tying up at the dock. I generally haven't pushed for any rule changes that require drilling any holes, but this would be an easy modification, since you have easy access to the top and undersides of the gunnel. Something to think about. I'll see if I can find a photo.

jason
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, https://lcyc.info

Matt Sole

There is no need to drill more holes. Both the split tail and bridle set up neatly fit on the same padeyes. Thoughtful block placement on the boom keeps everything running nicely.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Dan Tucker

From a boat sales perspective, more leverage or purchase in the mainsheet would be a good thing. Or at least an option for it.

There are potential skippers do express concern about wanting a more powerful mainsheet system. Including, but not exclusively, women buyers/drivers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Race it like you stole it.

Matt Sole

Finally! One of the thinking heads is thinking!
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Dan Tucker

Quote from: Matt Sole on March 26, 2013, 07:25:02 PM
Finally! One of the thinking heads is thinking!
Who dat?

I have no more input into class rules than anyone else. Maybe less!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Race it like you stole it.

Kevin Brown

So how can we get this brought up for a vote again?  I really don't want another bridle in the middle of my cockpit.  There is already plenty of stuff to trip/slip on.