composite goosenecks

Started by Ben Steinberg, February 16, 2013, 12:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Steinberg

Recently approved is a new composite gooseneck.  The only class approved carbon gooseneck. Functionally identical to the builder supplied part.  It is designed to maintain the geometry of the boom, gnav, and mast while increasing strength and durability.  The composite gooseneck addresses the structural weaknesses of the factory part and provides a larger more robust method of attaching the boom to the mast wile adding no additional weight.  Upgrade because yours is damaged or upgrade before yours is damaged ruining your regatta.  The carbon gooseneck is fastened using epoxy adhesive.  Installation is simple and can be accomplished in an afternoon, clear coat after installation. Cost is $200 plus shipping.  

contact Ben Steinberg
bensteinberg at comcast dot net

Lee Shuckerow

Jackpot  #235

Ben Steinberg

Jeff Jones

Dude, nice.  I will want one.

Hurry up and get the spreader bracket approved soni can save shipping costs.

Quote from: Ben Steinberg on February 16, 2013, 12:36:20 PM
Recently approved is a new composite gooseneck.  The only class approved carbon gooseneck. Functionally identical to the builder supplied part.  It is designed to maintain the geometry of the boom, gnav, and mast while increasing strength and durability.  The composite gooseneck addresses the structural weaknesses of the factory part and provides a larger more robust method of attaching the boom to the mast wile adding no additional weight.  Upgrade because yours is damaged or upgrade before yours is damaged ruining your regatta.  The carbon gooseneck is fastened using epoxy adhesive.  Installation is simple and can be accomplished in an afternoon, clear coat after installation. Cost is $200 plus shipping.  

contact Ben Steinberg
bensteinberg at comcast dot net

Matt Sole

Any ideas on improving the boom part of the gooseneck? The cast piece is junk
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Ben Steinberg

Matt,  if you have a selden boom you can switch over to this. I can build a gooseneck that it will fit. http://forum.viper640.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1042.0;attach=1070;image
If you run the super spar boom your choices are pretty limited. You can go the aluminum plate insert and either bolt or weld it in. Not very elegant though.

Matt Sole

I have a Super Spars boom. The out board end is falling to bits as well now (Just the handy little out haul stopper tab). I think I have figured out why the inboard end is failing. The GNAV cascade ends on the boom and not one of the strops around the mast so I think that is why there is a ton of load there and trashing inboard end. Would you agree?
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Dan Tucker

GNAV purchase should always dead end to a strop around the mast, not to the eye on the boom.

Splice up a bit of spectra with eye splices in both ends. Or you can buy the stock "dog collar", which is a strap with a D ring on each end.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Race it like you stole it.

Ben Steinberg

Matt, at least the dead end of the primary cascade should dead end to the mast. I have successfully kept the rest of the turning blocks and dead ends on the boom. Your gooseneck and boom end fittings will prematurely fail if they are all on the boom. They will all fail eventually though. That's what happens when the spar builder specs the same gooseneck that is used on a 29er.

Jeff Jones

What??   But we've been using these fittings on dingy spars for years! 

Doh

Now, fix the mast bracket Steinberg. 

Quote from: Ben Steinberg on March 26, 2013, 07:47:10 PM
Matt, at least the dead end of the primary cascade should dead end to the mast. I have successfully kept the rest of the turning blocks and dead ends on the boom. Your gooseneck and boom end fittings will prematurely fail if they are all on the boom. They will all fail eventually though. That's what happens when the spar builder specs the same gooseneck that is used on a 29er.

Matt Sole

Quote from: Ben Steinberg on March 26, 2013, 07:47:10 PM

The boat came with it in the current set up. I just never realised until recently that this is what was causing the failures.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Drew Harper

Quote from: Matt Sole on March 26, 2013, 07:32:37 PM
I have a Super Spars boom. The out board end is falling to bits as well now (Just the handy little out haul stopper tab). I think I have figured out why the inboard end is failing. The GNAV cascade ends on the boom and not one of the strops around the mast so I think that is why there is a ton of load there and trashing inboard end. Would you agree?

The eye on the boom is placed there to connect the cascade to when you're NOT sailing. Otherwise, make a strap our of webbing so you can distribute the load over a wider area on the mast. If you sail in breeze and have a 16:1 GNAV, you'll add lots of stress to the mast by using thinner line for cascade strop.
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Matt Sole

Well some one went an awful lot of trouble for not sailing as all the lines are spliced directly onto the eye. All those splices look factory spliced as well...
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78