Wanted - Cheap Viper

Started by Scot Mundle, January 25, 2013, 12:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Mundle

Any of you know of an uncompetitive, tin rig boat in a barn somewhere?  Just looking for something to do some local PHRF stuff in.

Scot Mundle

Should have mentioned...the closer to Lake Ontario the better.

Olaf Bleck

What is "cheap"?  Email me direct at obleck@gmail
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Jonathan Nye

Don't do it Olaf (or anyone else). Putting this guy in a Viper just gives him that much more incentive to part with his Olson!
Jonathan

Drew Harper

Scott,

There's a tin rig in Texas too. Phil Davis
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Jeff Jones

I've got a really cheap viper, with carbon rig.  But she needs a bit of work. 

Scot Mundle

Yes, I am having some troubles getting the Olson up to speed..... not.

I don't mind doing some work on a boat.  PM's sent.

Mark McGowan

Quote from: Scot Mundle on January 25, 2013, 12:11:32 PM
Any of you know of an uncompetitive, tin rig boat in a barn somewhere?  Just looking for something to do some local PHRF stuff in.

What do you consider to be cheap?

Scot Mundle

My wife would love it if I could find one for sub-$10K, but I realize that is a tall order.  Once I move my Olson, some offers will be made with cash in hand...

Darren Gilbert

That deal can be found so keep looking!  There are some missing barn boats out there.
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Peter Beardsley

The deal may be out there, but they come up so infrequently as to be a white elephant at this point.  However, we're about to enter the brave new world of Viper financing (stay tuned for an announcement from Rondar), so for the cost that you'd be willing to spend on a barn boat, you can make the deposit on a new boat plus a year's worth of loan payments...of course, there will be 9 more years of loan payments after that, but at $250/month, not a bad deal for a new Viper. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Dan Tucker

There are 3 missing boats, as far as I know. One of those is known to be sunk/lost, we're just not sure which one. The other two will turn up eventually, but if Justin couldn't find them, they're well and truly lost!

We haven't gotten the financing tools up on the Rondar website yet, but Peter is correct. A new Viper with trailer and sails for approximately $7000 down, $300/month for 10 years.  Call Drew (west) or I (east) at 855.766.3271 and we can fill you in. If you were to find one of those mythic barn boats and manage to buy it for $10K cash, you'll need to put $10K-$12K into it for rig, keel and sails. Also all cash...

Usual financing disclaimers apply -subject to bank approval, terms subject to change, tax, title and fees additional, yadda yadda...
Race it like you stole it.

Justin Scott

Quote from: Dan Tucker on February 02, 2013, 02:53:12 PM
There are 3 missing boats, as far as I know. One of those is known to be sunk/lost, we're just not sure which one. The other two will turn up eventually, but if Justin couldn't find them, they're well and truly lost!

Who says I couldn't find them?

I cant imagine getting a boat for $10k in this day and age. Even the sunk one (off Key West if you want to go and look) is probably worth $10k. For value for money, if you are prepared to put in a little loving, I think some of the early MarkII's between 2007 and 2009 are 3 to 5 years old now and starting to offer some real value.

Essex will also finance a used Mark II used boat. Same amount down (on the one I was talking to them about) but lower monthly. 
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Drew Harper

Quote from: Justin Scott on February 04, 2013, 03:14:44 PM

I cant imagine getting a boat for $10k in this day and age. Even the sunk one (off Key West if you want to go and look) is probably worth $10k. For value for money, if you are prepared to put in a little loving, I think some of the early MarkII's between 2007 and 2009 are 3 to 5 years old now and starting to offer some real value.

Essex will also finance a used Mark II used boat. Same amount down (on the one I was talking to them about) but lower monthly. 

Currently Essex won't finance a used Viper as there's no benchmark data in the BUC book about values. There would have to be a 'Valuation' survey done by a NAMMS surveyor for them to consider this.

Once data in BUC is established, they will loan...
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Jeff Jones

I have to agree with Justin (oh lord).   

Sounds like those new hulls whitecap is building for Rondar are pretty sweet, but if that's a stretch financially an older Bennett in need of some upgrades offers a hell of a lota value. 

Picking up something inexpensive and putting money into it seems like a nice responsible way to get on the water.  And you can't kill those old epoxy hulls.  Trust me, I've tried.  The keels well... 

Quote from: Justin Scott on February 04, 2013, 03:14:44 PM