Another PHRF datapoint

Started by Reid Smythe, January 09, 2013, 08:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reid Smythe

Just got my certificate for Monterey Bay: 96, the same rating as:

Olson 30 (with outboard)
Sob 30 (Olson 30 prototype, makes sense)
Soverel 33-2

This area rates J-105s at 78, Moore 24s at 150, and SC 27s at 141 for comparison

Fastest boat in the fleet I'll be sailing in is a Sydney 38 with a rating of 33...not sure of the slowest as we haven't made the fleet breaks yet.

Jason Hyerstay

What are the Melges 24, J/80, J/70, and J/29 ratings there?
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, https://lcyc.info

Reid Smythe

All those are TBD, none have been rated for this area in the records I can find (back through 2010).  In 2011, there was a U20 at 147...that's about as sporty as I can find.  There has been more than a few people interested in sailing on the viper when it gets here, so I think the lack of high performance boats is a chicken/egg problem more than anything else.

Michael Gravitt

I sailed for two years at 96 before I appealed the rating.  The appeal process is labor intensive. Look now at the process so you are prepared.  I had mine dropped to 102.  All info is on the PHRF site.

Reid Smythe

The good news is that I'll only have to suffer for a season before I get moved to....somewhere that's hopefully not Guam.  In other news, I just found out there's a half-built Shaw 650 floating around here (http://www.buildingashaw650.com/Building_a_Shaw_650/Blog/Blog.html), too bad she's not finished, that'd be a fun match up.

Jeff Jones

Ha, that's my buddies boat.  I was in his wedding about six months ago.  Read: he just got married so it may be a long time before that boat hits the water.

If you want me to put you in touch with him.  He's a super cool guy with a bunch of crazy local buddies who would love to go sailing with you.

Good luck on the handicap racing.  Even if you don't correct out you'll still have a blast.

Reid Smythe

Yeah, PM me his contact info and I'll get in touch.  Still waiting to hear that the boat is on it's way, but that word should come any day now.

It's funny, I think my potential crew list for the viper is about twice the size it ever was for my old boat which needed twice the crew a viper does to really race. 

Dan Tucker

Quote from: Reid Smythe on January 17, 2013, 05:49:10 PM
I think my potential crew list for the viper is about twice the size it ever was for my old boat which needed twice the crew a viper does to really race.
Funny how that happens, isn't it? Sounds like there should be 2-3 more Viper owners in there!
Race it like you stole it.

Justin Scott

Yeah, PM me his contact info and I'll get in touch.  Still waiting to hear that the boat is on it's way, but that word should come any day now.

It's funny, I think my potential crew list for the viper is about twice the size it ever was for my old boat which needed twice the crew a viper does to really race. 

+ some of them are a lot better looking than my old crew list.

Here is Matt Sole being thanked after she heard that she made the cut for fwd crew on his boat.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Dan Tucker

Quote from: Justin Scott on February 04, 2013, 02:17:22 PM

+ some of them are a lot better looking than my old crew list.

Here is Matt Sole being thanked after she heard that she made the cut for fwd crew on his boat.

She looks too old for Matt, I think I should take over.
Race it like you stole it.

Drew Harper

Get Used to it Reid. Looks like we're about to be invited to Race on the America's Cup racecourse. The are looking for boats to sail after 2pm when they'll send the 72's back to the barn. It's too tough on those carbon drums. The PRO wants spectacular classes and is inviting 18' Skiffs, 505's and Vipers because we're guaranteed to be entertaining in 25-30 knots of breeze, 3 knot ebb and 4 foot chop :-)))
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Tim Carter

Quote from: Drew Harper on February 05, 2013, 11:37:00 AM

Get Used to it Reid. Looks like we're about to be invited to Race on the America's Cup racecourse. The are looking for boats to sail after 2pm when they'll send the 72's back to the barn. It's too tough on those carbon drums. The PRO wants spectacular classes and is inviting 18' Skiffs, 505's and Vipers because we're guaranteed to be entertaining in 25-30 knots of breeze, 3 knot ebb and 4 foot chop :-)))
Very entertaining...  Think Barnum & Bailey...   I'm soooo there..  even have a spare rig       :P
Lt Coast Gov