Anybody know how big the backing plates are for vang cleats etc?

Started by Matt Haddon, December 29, 2012, 06:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Haddon

Tim Carter

Matt, if you want to keep ypur boat class legal, please review the class rules on our front page.

Specificaly: 6.6  The Cunningham system does not have to be identical to that supplied by a class approved builder.  The purchase system shall not exceed 8:1 and shall only be able to adjust mainsail luff tension. The Cunningham control lines may not be run aft of the mast by more than 20 cm.

You are allowed to double end the thing, you just cannot take it back to the vang cleat area.  Several have led it below the jib halyard fine cleats under the front cap.
Lt Coast Gov

Matt Haddon

That's good to know Tim, thanks. I thought I read some comment by one of the class measurers after this year's nationals to the effect that some of the leading boats were using dual controls led to the helm. Must have misunderstood?

Matt Haddon

Just found the quote, contained in the BKAV with Dave Nickerson (see below). Too many years dinghy sailing must have led me to wrong conclusion!

What are some of the "upgrades" that you as Tech Committee chair would recommend that an owner of a brand new (Rondar Mark III or Mark IV) Viper do if they wanted to match the top guys in the class? Not much: minimum (legal) diameter lines, 16:1 gnav, Cunningham adjustable while hiking and the aft split-tail mainsheet set up with an auto-ratchet on the boom rather than at the swivelcam.  Couple hours work.

Is Dave referring to the cleat position by the jib halliard fine tune?

PS have seen at least one photo on the web of lines led to the helm!

Dave Nickerson

Meant adjustable by the forward crew while hiking.  Driver has enough going on.  Somewhere near the jib halyard fine tune cleats can make sense.  Peter Beardsley has a nice set up that's easy to install. 
Ours is a bit more complicated with a 4:1 purchase under the foredeck.  Easy to use, more work to install.  Send me an email if you're interested in the details.

There were some photos on the APS site showing an aft led cunningham (that is not legit).  We've asked several times for those photos to be taken down.  Haven't looked recently.
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Matt Haddon