Hyde Jib

Started by Matt Rowlinson, July 02, 2008, 08:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Rowlinson

This may be old news to most, but I haven't seen it posted.  The Hyde jib sets much better with a 5" strop on the tack to lift it above the deck.  Paul Young suggested this to us at last year's NA's.  Without the strop, the sail comes right back to the sheet turning block before it's tight enough.  My guess is that Hyde is still cutting them to the old forestay length/mast rake.

I thought of posting this when I saw Justin's opinion that the boat could use the jib tracks moved inboard for PHRF.  I can't see that myself, unless you also put a traveller on the main.

Matt CAN 70

Justin Scott

Hmmmmm. Too much rake methinks. Try moving mast butt aft.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Matt Rowlinson

Mast butt is fully aft--forestay is where it's been since we got the boat, & still has your wichard shackle on it.  The boat is beautifully balanced with rake as is.  So no one else has had this problem?  wierd.

Justin Scott

I had to attach a strop to my Doyle jib. The Hyde seemed OK....but what do I know?
I notice that Meissner is sailing his Hyde with a strop to raise the tack.

Lets play at the NAs and find out what works.

One thing that might affect is that I found that with my initial rake setting I didnt have a "point" mode in flat water. So I stood the mast up a bit. When the boat is "super flat" without much vang and mainsheet I may have the slightest barely noticeable lee helm but I tolerate that to point in light air.

I wonder if Hyde has modified their design.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Matt Rowlinson

I wonder if Hyde has modified their design.

---don't think so;this is a new jib, & it seems identical to the first.