kelpzilla

Started by Doug Stumberger, June 07, 2012, 02:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Stumberger

100 yards from the finish line of a race last night up here in Seattle we sailed over a mostly submerged wad of kelp which promptly wrapped itself around the keel and slowed boat speed from 5 to 2 knots, losing us a place in the finish. 

Any suggestions for getting rid of kelpzilla once it's attached to your keel? We cleared it by backing downwind after finishing the race since we were close, but during the middle of a race would have been a nightmare to stop, backdown and clear. Other techniques?

Doug Stumberger

Peter Beardsley

When I sailed Viper 38 in February, there was a giant carbon kelp stick (8 feet long?) underneath the spin sock.  I was told that the move would be to grab the stick, let the boat heel a bit, and then go at the leading edge with the stick while sailing and cross your fingers.  I'm sure the SoCal crew would have more advice on the technique. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Tim Carter

That is close...  stick is 8-9 ft long, 2 part with bungee like a tent pole.  the end is covered in a rough polypro line that extends a few feet past with a small ball or knot in the end.

Heel the boat a bit, shove the stick foward of the keel and the leverage and water pressure will swipe it down the leading edge.  The ball or knot will also act like a floss line.

Sometimes one pass will do it...  sometimes not.  I got wrapped up last year, tried to swipe and also back down 3 times in the race but I had a 720deg wrap it seemed like.  Finaly just stopped the boat and jumped in and physicaly pulled everything off the foil.

Have you heard we have weed in Cali??   ;)
Lt Coast Gov

Doug Stumberger

any chance for a pic?

Justin Scott

any chance of bringing some of that California weed to the NAs?

I mean strictly so the Tech Cttee can take a closer look at the problem from 10,000 feet.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Jim Sears

Here's 4 pics of my kelp stick.  It's approx 9ft in length and is fashioned out of a 2-pieces surf fishing rod.  I cut off the tip because it was too wiggly.  There is a bungee running inside the length of it - this allows for quick assembly/disassembly.  The business end is about 30" of very large diameter dock line (cover only) slipped over about 6" of the rod.  I first "thickened" the cut-off tip of the rod with some rigging tape to prevent it from poking through the cover.  This rigging tape also helped secure the knot in the bungee that was run inside the rod.

Originally we stored the stick by just throwing it forward under the deck, but it kept getting fouled in the pole.  Timbo keeps his under the spin sock I think.  We keep the stick stored under the deck in a secured pvc pipe.  Forward end of pipe is tied to one of the spin sock bolts, aft end is tied to pad eye that jib fine tune runs through just before the cleat (port side).  This keeps everything very clean.

Using stick is just like Timbo said above.  In my pics, the knot in the cover needs to be bigger.  You need enough drag to keep the knot on one side of the keel as you push the stick down the other side.  Suggest practicing BEFORE a race.
F.N.G.
USA-148
SoCal

Jim Sears

more pics
F.N.G.
USA-148
SoCal

Drew Harper

We've been working with Our Viper owner that also owns WD Shock. They have a kelp stick with a retractible cutter for the Shock 40.  Trying to figure out how we can incorporate this into a couple of holes strategically drilled into the keelbox. Only problem is the bloody damn stick costs $500.  I will post a pic.

I'm stopping by Shock on way to LBRW to further this discussion with Sasha. I'm pretty sure the stick can be made much more affordably.

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Tim Carter

Quote from: Justin Scott on June 08, 2012, 07:05:36 PM
any chance of bringing some of that California weed to the NAs?

I mean strictly so the Tech Cttee can take a closer look at the problem from 10,000 feet.

As long as it's for medicinal purposes only...  and all the problems look really small from 10,000'..  :P
Lt Coast Gov