Mast mount instrument brackets

Started by Luke Porter, May 31, 2012, 08:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke Porter

Now available, the Shoreside Service Mk IIIa (Viper) Instrument Bracket! After prototype testing at Charleston Race Week and here in Halifax, the optimized model is ready to roll out.

The bracket was originally designed to hold a Tacktick Microcompass on top with a Velocitek Speedpuck underneath but testing has shown that almost any combination of instruments can be mounted. The mounting face is 7" tall and about 4" wide. The open center seam allows for some variation in width.

The bracket slips around the mast and fits between the boom and the spin halyard block. The vang and cunningham run behind the instruments. Ideally everything is held in place with some sticky backed velcro and/or zip ties and tape.

The bracket is made from fiberglass and epoxy, is strong, flexible for mounting but rigid with instruments attached and weighs about 5oz. Brackets are made to order and cost CAN$50  + shipping. Paypal preferred. Get me here or directly at smyles at eastlink dot ca

Luke.
"Porkchop"
Can 166
Halifax, NS

Jason Hyerstay

I've been messing around with mounting my RaceMaster with the TackTick double and single brackets, and it is hard to leave enough room for the gnav and cunningham lines. It looks like your bracket does the trick!

Does it come with pre-drilled holes that fit RaceMaster mounts or anything else, or do we have to drill ourselves?

Thanks,

jason
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, https://lcyc.info

Luke Porter

Quote from: Jason Hyerstay on May 31, 2012, 10:06:18 PM
Does it come with pre-drilled holes that fit RaceMaster mounts or anything else, or do we have to drill ourselves?

You have to drill yourselves. I'd need every instrument out there to be able to drill holes for all combinations and, unfortunately, I don't have them. It's not difficult, I just lined things up by eye, dropped bolts in as I drilled and made sure the bracket was on a flat surface so it didn't end up cock-eyed.

Luke.
"Porkchop"
Can 166
Halifax, NS

Garrett Johns

made sure the bracket was on a flat surface so it didn't end up cock-eyed.

Luke.
[/quote]

Wait.....I thought my instruments looked like that because of the party the night before!
USA 129
Anacortes WA

Jeff Jones

Brilliant design!  Getcha a little carbon twill off eBay and you could charge a handle of rum each for those puppies!

Far mor handy than 50 bucks when there's a pack of thirsty viper sailors standing around.

Luke Porter

Now that a few brackets have made their way to the market I have discovered that I'm not really charging enough to break even with them. So, starting this month (Sept '12) the price is going to have to go up to $85 per bracket plus shipping (usually around $11).

Luke.
"Porkchop"
Can 166
Halifax, NS

Jason Hyerstay

Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, https://lcyc.info

Reid Smythe

Bracket works great, the only two issues I have are:

Mounting the NS 360 Wireless seems a little sketchy due to how they (NovaSail) created the mount (triangle thing with two base screws and one top screw...nothing for the top screw to screw in to! so it's only held on by the two base screws.  I'm a little leery of the torque loads on those teeny screws, but everything seems ok so far).  I've got some ideas for fixing this, but it's waaay down on the priority list.

I haven't quite figured out the trick for preventing the bracket from twisting when it gets knocked by the forward crew during tacks and gybes.  Sticky back on the mast and the inside of the bracket?  Probably the easiest answer.

Luke Porter

Quote from: Reid Smythe on March 24, 2013, 12:56:49 AM
I haven't quite figured out the trick for preventing the bracket from twisting when it gets knocked by the forward crew during tacks and gybes.  Sticky back on the mast and the inside of the bracket?  Probably the easiest answer.

Yes these are still available, in both regular and carbon. For the triangular problem probably the easiest fix is to bolt a piece of plastic or fiberglass across the top of the mount and then screw the top screw into that. It'd make the whole piece more rigid as well.

I put sticky backed vlecro on the mast and inside the mount and then strap the whole deal to the mast with double sided velcro. It's possible for the forward crew to move it but not as easily and they have learnt to avoid it and to reset it if they do hit it. Screwing it into the mast would solve the problem but I wouldn't suggest that.

Luke.
"Porkchop"
Can 166
Halifax, NS

Matt Harden

I would like one for the carbon mast. How do I order?

Luke Porter

Quote from: Matt Harden on March 31, 2013, 10:26:29 PM
I would like one for the carbon mast. How do I order?

You tell me you want one! They come in two flavours, regular (glass & epoxy) for $85 Canadian + shipping or carbon for $135 Canadian + shipping. USPS to the US is usually $11. Let me know which you'd like and give me a mailing address plus your email for billing and I'll get right on it.

Luke.
"Porkchop"
Can 166
Halifax, NS

Reid Smythe

Quote from: Luke Porter on March 24, 2013, 09:52:49 AM

Yes these are still available, in both regular and carbon. For the triangular problem probably the easiest fix is to bolt a piece of plastic or fiberglass across the top of the mount and then screw the top screw into that. It'd make the whole piece more rigid as well.

Across the front! And here I was figuring to bolt something on from behind, with a raised center portion so that it sits flush.  Putting something on the front intead makes much, much more sense.

Jason Hyerstay

Can you please tell us the front to back dimension?

Does the gnav line ever push it sideways when the boom is out?

Thanks,

jason (almost ready to order one)

Jim Sears

Jason,
I got one of the first ones sold and I've LOVED it!  The only time it moves is if crew bumps it, but I'll fix that with some velcro one of these days.  I painted it black.
-Jimbo
F.N.G.
USA-148
SoCal

Jason Hyerstay

Thank you!

Last year I sailed with my TackTick RaceMaster on the mast, and an iPhone in a Magellan ToughCase dual-locked on the lip near the pole-out cleat. iRegatta did a nice job, but it was hard to see and the phone is at the bottom of the Lake now. This year I am looking forward to clear visibility with the ProStart stacked below the RaceMaster. It sounds like this bracket will do the trick!

Cheers,

jason