Upper Shroud Length/tension issue

Started by Scott Ellis, May 31, 2012, 12:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Ellis

Ok,  So I am playing around with rig tuning with another local boat and have found that I can't match the other boat's tuning due to the fact that my uppers are too short. When my forestay is at 52.5", I can loosen the caps all the way until the holes in the threads are up inside the turnbuckle (not safe/good) and the rig is 25 on the loos - no blocking.  I put the forestay at 51.5" and the loosest I can get is 28 on the loos.  I've never used more than the first 1/2" of threads on the turn buckles and my inner stays are at the top (loosest) hole to be 'in the ball park'.  I've double checked the mast is sitting flat on the track and it's perfectly in the middle of the mast base.  

I knew that some of the hound locations on the masts 'floated' around slighty - just trying to get to the bottom of this.  I was thinking about ordering some longer threaded toggles for the bottom of the turnbuckle, but wanted to bounce off this group first if anyone has seen this and any good fixes other than new shrouds.

Thanks!

-Scott
Barrel of Monkeys
USA 147
Anacortes, WA

Jim Sears

Hey Scott,
Same issue on #148.  I simply added another toggle (about 1") between the chainplate ring and the toggle on the turnbuckle... works like a charm.
-Jimbo
F.N.G.
USA-148
SoCal

Justin Scott

Quote from: Jim Sears on May 31, 2012, 12:54:18 AM
Hey Scott,
Same issue on #148.  I simply added another toggle (about 1") between the chainplate ring and the toggle on the turnbuckle... works like a charm.
-Jimbo

Darn these Viper forums. Another $20 solution to a $300 problem. Hows a rigger to make a living ?
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Jeff Jones

By providing a 20 dollar product and charging 300 for it? 

Quote from: Justin Scott on May 31, 2012, 02:42:54 AM
Hey Scott,
-Jimbo

Darn these Viper forums. Another $20 solution to a $300 problem. Hows a rigger to make a living ?

Scott Ellis

Hey Scott,
Same issue on #148.  I simply added another toggle (about 1") between the chainplate ring and the toggle on the turnbuckle... works like a charm.
-Jimbo

Kinda ironic we picked up our boats at the same time and have this same problem.  Thanks for the suggestion Jim, off to the web store :)

Glad to know I wasn't 'doing it wrong'
Barrel of Monkeys
USA 147
Anacortes, WA

Drew Harper

The base shroud length has changed several times from input from various sailmakers, boat owners and Brian Bennett. Rondar UK now has final say those lengths.

The headstay lengths are all over the charts with the various setups. A slight difference in headstay length adds up to a fair difference in shroud length.

An easy fix is like Jim said...just add a link shackle. That way you can change again should you signup with another sailmaker.
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Jim Sears

Here's a photo of the toggle I used:
F.N.G.
USA-148
SoCal

Lee Shuckerow

Quote from: Drew Harper on May 31, 2012, 05:39:00 PM
The base shroud length has changed several times from input from various sailmakers, boat owners and Brian Bennett. Rondar UK now has final say those lengths.

The headstay lengths are all over the charts with the various setups. A slight difference in headstay length adds up to a fair difference in shroud length.

An easy fix is like Jim said...just add a link shackle. That way you can change again should you signup with another sailmaker.

Just curious. What are the lengths Rondar is now providing?
Jackpot  #235