2012 Whidbey Island clinic?

Started by Hays Clark, May 02, 2012, 05:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hays Clark

Is there a more substantial thread on the clinic planned for Whidbey Island?  I would like to try to attend the clinic but I don't think I can do any of the races.  Online it says that the tuning clinic/demo is over the weekend before the event so I'm assuming that is the 14th and 15th.  Is this going to be a pretty formal event with multi boat tuning on the water and coaching?

-Cheers,
Hays Clark
Viper 144

Garrett Johns

Hays, there is a thread here for WIRW..
http://whidbeyislandraceweek.com/blog/

The Demo/Clinic is Sunday the 15th (details still in the works). Drew Haper from Rondar will be coming up from San Fran. It will likely be more of a "Demo" day than a "Clinic" but I am not the one running it. I am sure we will have several boats out tuning as well. The idea is to get some new folks out on the Vipers for a ride/demo and then let them see the boats in action all week during racing. We will also have some shoreside Demo stuff going on during the on the water demos.

On side note....wish we could convince you to do NOOD or come out for WIRW!! Fun boat to race and a great group of sailors that are in the class.
USA 129
Anacortes WA

Drew Harper

Hi Hays!

We are driving up on Thursday night, pulling an allnighter to be at the Island Friday and setup. We're bringing the Viper, the K6 and either a 420, 505 or maybe even a K1 :-)

The tuning clinic will run in the AM with Mr Speed Himself, Chris Winnard showing us why he's so damn fast. Ullman has been working very hard on sail development and they will have some specials going on during that weekend.

We plan on a tuning presentation then on water session with a VERY short course so we can bang out 5+ starts and runs some very short legs. Premium on speed and sailhandling. We'll have a boat on the course running a video then debreif at the end of the day over beers and burgers.

This gives owners an opportunity to show the other poor shmoes at WIRW sailing their leadmines on just WHY the Viper is the best fleet in the USA. Fun, Fast and Affordable.

The concept is to have owners show off the boat with other sailors...it really works as a fleet builder!

Here's a copy of the schedule for the recent tuning/demo at ABYC. It shoudl run similar to this.

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Jim Sears

This clinic/demo/Viper-show-off day was one of the most enjoyable days spent on my Viper this year!  Sharing tuning tips and then getting out on the boats for some informal short course racing with no pressure was an absolute blast.  Highly recommended!  Also, as Drew mentioned, any sailors that see a handful of Vipers out "playing" like this will automatically want to buy one!
F.N.G.
USA-148
SoCal

Garrett Johns

Hey Drew, when you get a flier together for Whidbey, with the schedule, get it to me and I will start getting it out. Seattle NOOD is May 18-20. It would be cool if I had some to pass out to everyone that was checking out the Vipers.
Hearing Jimbos description of the demo/tuning day has got me jacked for it. Can't wait!!
USA 129
Anacortes WA

Scott Ellis

Should be a riot!  I can't wait either.  Let me know Drew if you need any other preparations or equipment for the demo.

-Scott
Barrel of Monkeys
USA 147
Anacortes, WA