Why is the weight limit waived for the NAs?

Started by Justin Scott, June 05, 2008, 07:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Scott

Dennis Martinelli (Desert Fleet) asked me about this. I thought I should share my reply:-

Hi Dennis,

The weight requirement in the class rules is an interesting anachronism. The technical committee have reviewed it several times to see if it should be dropped but decided to keep it each time as an insurance policy. The Class is still relatively new and we dont know the full potential of the boats, and whether weight needs to be controlled to stop people pushing the envelope. Its easier to keep the rule there rather than reintroduce it.

The way it currently works is:-

1. The design of the boat imposes its own weight limits. The range is 500-600lbs.
-If your weight is below 500, then in any breeze above 10 knots you are not going to be competitive uphill.You will not have enough hiking power.
-Once you get above 600lbs you will be noticeably slower downwind in all conditions. The hull shape of the Viper is uniquely fast. It is narrow on the waterline for most of its length, with a nice planing section 2/3 along the cockpit, and then a large flare above the waterline to give leverage to crew weight. Crew weight affects the waterline (the whole boat only weighs 750lbs) and above 600lbs you significantly increase drag.
- Some say the sweet spot is 520-580lbs
2. The rule was written so that it is only in force if the org cttee does not waive it. It has been waived in every regatta since the class started. 
3. We are a new, growing, friendly class and we want every team to feel welcome. We dont want any biggies to feel excluded (if they want to be competitive, they should find a viperette for the front of the boat).
4. We strictly enforce the rule about crew changes. You cannot change crew during the regatta unless you notify the Race Organizers well in advance (a week would be good) and have good reason  or unless it is a clear emergency ( a broken leg would be acceptable, a sprained finger would not) and you are not significantly affecting weight by the change.
5. If you are above 580/600 on a light day, you will be uncompetitive uphill and downhill. Marblehead will probably throw one light day at you. When we host the NAs on the Gorge (with 100 Vipes on the start line...oooooh yeah) then we will probably revisit.

We retain the right to implement the weight rule for any future regattas.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Justin on June 05, 2008, 07:04:34 AM
We dont want any biggies to feel excluded (if they want to be competitive, they should find a viperette for the front of the boat).

Better yet, put your light person in the back steering and keep your heavies forward to keep the bow down and weight centered.

Greg Jackson

Quote from: Justin on June 05, 2008, 07:04:34 AM
Better yet, put your light person in the back steering and keep your heavies forward to keep the bow down and weight centered.

Dennis,

I guess you will be driving ;)

Justin Scott

Quote from: Jay Harrell on June 05, 2008, 07:48:00 AM

Its my boat. I'm driving. And my ever increasing weight is nobody else's business!
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Matt Sole

If the big boys are paying the bills they get to drive!
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Dan Tucker

Race it like you stole it.