jib luff tension

Started by Paul Gillard, March 24, 2007, 02:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Beardsley

Quote from: Greg Jackson on June 16, 2011, 01:08:48 AM
Hey Tech Committee,

I'd like to verify that we don't need to run the jib fine tune as per the boat came from the factory?

This thread seems to say that with Magic Boxes and all.

Please let me know before I get a bunch of spectra nad a few more turning blocks!

Thanks

Greg
USA 46
heroin
I don't see where in the class rules it says you can deviate from the stock jib halyard fine tune system, but I defer to the Technical Committee on this one.
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Drew Harper

I can't imagine yoiu want more luff tension than the standard system I'll give you. Generally the uglier the jib looks, the faster it is ;-)
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Greg Jackson

Outstanding find Robert!

I have been using what came with the boat for four years and is a 2:1 purchase. I'm missing blocks 073 and 353 in my current system.

Greg

Dave Nickerson

A basic premise of our rules is that we are sailing these boats as they were supplied by the builder.  See 1.4 and 1.7.  Some systems, like the cunningham and GNAV, allow certain lattitude.  And unless it says you can - you can't.  Of course, an issue is that that our 2 builders have rigged different systems different ways over the years.  But our rules allow you to upgrade an older boat to current levels (1.4(b)).

With regards to the jib halyard fine tune, look at a current Rondar.  Subject to check, the max purchase is 8:1 using a double ended cascade.  When retrofitting an older boat, you may not be able to exactly copy the current system, but get as close as you can.  A magic box?  Nope.  Jib cunningham.  Nope.  But you should find that the jib halyard fine tune does the job pretty well.

Contact me directly if you have more questions.
Dave - TC
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Dan Tucker

Hey Tech Committee,

I'd like to verify that we don't need to run the jib fine tune as per the boat came from the factory?

Please let me know before I get a bunch of spectra nad a few more turning blocks!

Thanks

Greg
USA 46
heroin

Greg,

There is no exception in the Class Rules for the Jib Halyard fine tune set-up, so "As supplied by builder" it is, to comply with Class Rules. The Harken diagram is a good representation of how it's supposed to be rigged: http://www.harken.com/images/viper-jib-halyard-leads-lg.gif
Race it like you stole it.

Greg Jackson

Quote from: Dan Tucker on June 17, 2011, 11:45:10 AM
[
Greg,

There is no exception in the Class Rules for the Jib Halyard fine tune set-up, so "As supplied by builder" it is, to comply with Class Rules. The Harken diagram is a good representation of how it's supposed to be rigged: http://www.harken.com/images/viper-jib-halyard-leads-lg.gif

I'm going to follow the Harken example tonight... the reason I started checking into this was because you mentioned something about it to Chrisann!

Kinda nice when someone else drives your boat! You learn things!

Matt Sole

If you really want jib luff tension, unpin your forestay going down wind, then sail upwind. Tried that out tuesday......
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Tim Carter

that will do it..  :)

can make for a short life out of a jib on a backstay boat.  btdt
Lt Coast Gov

Drew Harper

Quote from: Matt Sole on June 17, 2011, 08:34:19 PM
If you really want jib luff tension, unpin your forestay going down wind, then sail upwind. Tried that out tuesday......

Ouchie....flog that crewman who was in charge of French rings
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Matt Sole

Not into self floggings.....
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Justin Scott

Hey Tech Committee,

Thanks

Greg
USA 46
heroin

Im not Tech committee but I figure that class rules on website trump threads on forum:-

1.2  No changes to the boat supplied by the builder are allowed unless they are specifically permitted by the class rules.
1.6.  No addition or alteration may be made to ....... fittings, type of fittings, running rigging, ....as supplied by the builder except when such an alteration or change is specifically authorized by these rules.

So although I'd favor a more powerful jib fine tune and wire luffs in our jibs, I'm sailing with the same jib set up as everyone else.

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Greg Jackson

Quote from: Justin Scott on July 07, 2011, 01:49:58 PM
Hey Tech Committee,

Thanks

Greg
USA 46
heroin

Im not Tech committee but I figure that class rules on website trump threads on forum:-

1.2  No changes to the boat supplied by the builder are allowed unless they are specifically permitted by the class rules.
1.6.  No addition or alteration may be made to ....... fittings, type of fittings, running rigging, ....as supplied by the builder except when such an alteration or change is specifically authorized by these rules.

So although I'd favor a more powerful jib fine tune and wire luffs in our jibs, I'm sailing with the same jib set up as everyone else.

Justin,

I found out through the Harken rigging guide that my boat came from the prevuis owner with the fine tune rigged incorrectly and was missing one purchase, now corrected.

Much better now!

Greg