Best painter attachment point

Started by Charlie Visser, January 14, 2012, 09:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Visser

Wondering where you folks attach a painter/dockline at the bow. The choices seem to be the the spin chute hoop or the forestay chainplate fitting. Neither is ideal. Which are folks using when overnighting at a dock?
Thanks
IceBear

Craig Wilusz

Charlie, on #100 we use a medium size bow shackle as our fore stay pin.  The pin for the shacke acts as the fore stay pin and we tie or snap shackle on bowilines, or our lifting bridle  to the bow shackle.  So far no issues, not even a stressline crack at all.  We hoist launch the boat regularly vs ramp launching here in FL and do it quite often.  I don't like tying anything to the chute roll bar.  Just my 1 cent (was 2 cents 'till the government took the other cent).

Craig
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Dan Tucker

I'm not a big fan of using the chute hoop as an attachment point for anything -lifting straps nor dock lines. It's not really structural. Though I haven't ever heard of one ripping out.

Craig's suggestion is a good one. I use a shackle for my jib tack, which stays on the tack fitting. I use that for lifting point and bowline.
Race it like you stole it.

Charlie Visser

Thanks for the suggestion. I am gonna get a Witchyard bow shackle.
IceBear

Justin Scott

Charlie,

You must be thinking of heading South because there is no way you are dreaming about the coming Dillon season as early as Janauary
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Charlie Visser

Nope, still got the ice runners strapped on ;-)
Traveling too much for work this winter to head south :-(
Following the Volvo and Global Ocean Races for my sailing fix.
IceBear