Boat Covers

Started by Steve Brown, November 26, 2011, 06:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Brown

Looking for recommendations on where to purchase bottom and/or top covers. Older boat if it matters. Thanks

Steve
Newbie #27
#27 - Chandler, AZ

Peter Beardsley

Congratulations on the boat acquisition -- where did 27 end up? 

I have been really happy with the Rondar top and bottom covers that you can get from Paul/Drew.  The top cover fits well, with attachment points where you want them and makes sense.  The bottom cover is easy to put on even when the boat is on the trailer as long as you have a second person.  It can be done singlehanded if you have a hoist around.  There are probably other options -- I haven't priced them out since I got a new boat and it was easy to get the manufacturer's stuff, but so far, so good several months later. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Steve Brown

Thanks for the input Peter!

#27 now resides in the Desert - Arizona fleet. Hope to get her on the water for the first time next week-end - anxious!
#27 - Chandler, AZ

David Furna

I got a new top cover for 55 from APS. It works great.

Dave

Tom Peterson

I just had my boat at harken and they used it to make specs for new covers. Top, bottom & mast. Great material that will last. I purchased a top cover that can be used with both the mast up or down (traveling).

Contact mary @ Harken canvas. I think Mauri Pro was going to get them on the website but not sure they are yet.
Viper #106 "Widespread Panic"

Steve Brown

Thanks Tom, just talked to Mary at Harken (262-691-3320) and ordered the deck and rudder covers - love the fact the deck has a zipper so it works mast up or down!

See how these work and consider the hull and mast covers as the budget allows. Quoted (top gun material) deck $604, hull $578, rudder $56, mast $155.

You are due a commission in my book!!

Steve
#27 - Chandler, AZ

Dave Nickerson

Steve - Interested to see what the Harken covers look like when you recieve them.  Post some pics?  In the market for a padded rudder bag...
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Peter Beardsley

Those are really good prices for rudder and mast covers, though I'm guessing that the mast cover is one piece and is intended to be used with the spreaders removed?  If I'm wrong, let me know (I'd love to be wrong on this one). 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Justin Scott

Quote from: Peter Beardsley on November 29, 2011, 08:22:19 PM
Those are really good prices for rudder and mast covers, though I'm guessing that the mast cover is one piece and is intended to be used with the spreaders removed?  If I'm wrong, let me know (I'd love to be wrong on this one). 

There are one piece mast covers that work with spreaders in place. Dan T has a very nice one with zipper for bottom half.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Tom Peterson

No problem Steve...I have always been happy with their covers on previous boats.

I did not purchase the mast cover but I believe they were putting a zipper in the bottom half of the bag so you could use with the spreaders on. Might want to double check if interested.

Drew Harper

I have covers in stock. All are now grey.

Top Cover is the new style with heavy reinforcements on all corners. It is mast up or down. I've put $8,000 miles on this one. $550
Bottom cover is a breathable fabric with a velcro split at the keel, backed up with buckle locks. $495
Mast Cover is two piece for either mast with spreaders on or works well with mast in halves. Pads and protects for travel. $280 ($195 if purchased with a top cover)
Rudder has a tiller pocket included. $180 ($100 if purchased with a top cover)

Here's a couple of shots. I will wrap up our boat in covers and send along a shot when I have a chance to do so.

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Peter Beardsley

Drew -- you trailer with the top cover on your boat?  The windage isn't an issue?  If you've solved that problem, please share with the world.  Mine blows up like a balloon, which I'd think would cause a lot of stress on the cover while trailering, so I just leave mine in the back of the car when on the road. 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"

Tom Peterson

Here are a couple of pictures of my boat with the harken covers

Tom Peterson

Here is the others (working on my forum skills)

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Peter Beardsley on December 01, 2011, 07:03:44 PM
Drew -- you trailer with the top cover on your boat?  The windage isn't an issue?  If you've solved that problem, please share with the world.  Mine blows up like a balloon, which I'd think would cause a lot of stress on the cover while trailering, so I just leave mine in the back of the car when on the road. 

I trailer with my Service Canvas cover, and it doesn't balloon up as long as you wrap the keel cover part with some bungees.  I think it has about 16,000 miles on it, and several years outside.  The zipper needs replacing from UV, but otherwise it's holding up great.