Perfecting the Gybe.

Started by Justin Scott, April 29, 2008, 10:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Scott

I was looking at the website the other day and saw the paragraph about a one piece continuous halyard/retrieval line.  Sounds very interesting and is probably easier than the existing set up on the boat.  How does it work and what would I need to do to make the switch?

On another note, Lake Norman is almost at full pond.  Alex (my son) and I raced the Viper for the first time this year in the Wednesday Night Series last week.  Alex was at the helm and I was the crew.  On the downwind leg we did fine but the spinnaker had a tendency to hang up on the forestay when we would jib.  The wind was approximately 6 knots.  Do you any suggestions?  We finished middle of the pack in the spinnaker division.

John Scharer

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Dave Dougall

John...I use the single continuous line for spinnaker halyard/ retrieval.  When I bought #28 last year, it had the clothes line drum a stern.  I did not like it too much, so went to a 1/4" (6mm) continuous line.  It worked ok, but still had problems both on hoist and retrieval.  Found out that the line was too large of diameter, so bought 4mm line.  Works a whole lot better.  Another problem I had on hoist was that the stiff tack end of chute was getting caught on forstay, so I tied a small line to forstay, over the port bow, down to the eye for the pole on the bow and back up over the starboard side and attached to the forstay.  This way the tack rides up and around the forstay.  Another hint I heard resently was to attach a caribiner to the forward end of boom and just b4 you drop the chute, clip halyard into it.  This stops the halyard from re-cleating into the mast cleat because it is held up high.  I will try this soon and report back as to location and if it really works.
Dave D. 

Felipe Payet

Speaking of the new kite setup, are people using a single continuous spin sheet running accross the cockpit from one ratchet block to the other,  or two separate sheets? 

And can someone recommend appropriate lengths (for the new kite turning block locations) and a kind of line you like?  I need to buy new spin sheets and want to get it right the first time.

Paul Zimmerman

The new spin turning block location is not a choice.  Either it stays where it is(rear padeyes) or the new approved location is measured exactly 79" from the stern corner of the boat where the gunwhale and deck intersect.  4mm line is what I use for the halyard/retrival line.  Works perfectly.  if the cleat on the mast is mounted vertically there is no need for caribiner.  One trick is to mount the turning block at the base of the mast slightly off center. This works well preventing the halyard from cleating itself.  However make sure halyard is in cleat before hoisting.

Paul Zimmerman

As for continuous spin sheets, most of us use a single sheet with a short pennant spliced in the center.  The ends in the cockpit do not connect, they are free, not continuous.

Felipe Payet

Quote from: viper55 on April 30, 2008, 02:34:23 PM
As for continuous spin sheets, most of us use a single sheet with a short pennant spliced in the center.  The ends in the cockpit do not connect, they are free, not continuous.

Thanks.  Do you remember what length the sheet is, and what type of line you used? 

I'm thinking of using one of the super light, soft, non-water absorbing dyneema-polyester blend 12-strand lines, like N.E. Ropes "Salsa" or Samson's Apex.  I use Salsa for the spin sheet on my Laser 2, and love the light weight and soft feel of the line.  Not sure it would work with the heavier loads on the viper.  Any thoughts?

Paul Zimmerman

I use 5/16" line.  Do not remember what it is.  I do not feel it is necessary for any high tech expensive lines for spin sheets.  I would recommend a line with a cover as opposed to 12 strand uncovered.  The line gets a lot of abuse going around the headstay.  Tapered lines are NOt permitted.  I think the total length of my sheet is 80' (one line)

Justin Scott

Quote from: condor on April 30, 2008, 02:57:29 PM
Quote from: viper55 on April 30, 2008, 02:34:23 PM

Thanks.  Do you remember what length the sheet is, and what type of line you used? 

I'm thinking of using one of the super light, soft, non-water absorbing dyneema-polyester blend 12-strand lines, like N.E. Ropes "Salsa" or Samson's Apex.  I use Salsa for the spin sheet on my Laser 2, and love the light weight and soft feel of the line.  Not sure it would work with the heavier loads on the viper.  Any thoughts?

Salsa would defintely work .....its very low stretch and non-water absorbing. The loads are actualy quite light and salsa is a relatively high tech strong line. You might want a larger diam than the L2 for grip reasons. When I went to the blocks on the gunwale and shorter sheets the day before a demo sail, I just picked up some cheap stuff at West Marine and I have never changed...seems to work fine.   
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee