FS: Hydroturf

Started by Charlie Visser, July 12, 2011, 12:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Visser

Three sheets of Hydroturf, 40X62 molded diamond, gray color, with 3m self adhesive. Was going to do my cockpit but changed my mind. Brand new, still in the wrapping.
Cost $267
Will sell for $180 shipped in US.
IceBear

Matt Sole

Why did you change your mind?
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Robert Bernard

I love my hydroturf! Probably the best thing I've done to the boat yet!
Viper #76   Navi-Gator

Charlie Visser

Quote from: Matt Sole on July 12, 2011, 07:35:39 PM

Heavy high altitude UV exposure-- expecting it to degrade in a couple seasons and not keen to hsve to tear out and replace. Am i making a mistake?
IceBear

Robert Bernard

Quote from: Charlie Visser on July 12, 2011, 09:40:15 PM
Quote from: Matt Sole on July 12, 2011, 07:35:39 PM

Heavy high altitude UV exposure-- expecting it to degrade in a couple seasons and not keen to hsve to tear out and replace. Am i making a mistake?

Cover your boat man!
Viper #76   Navi-Gator

Jeff Jones

+1   Cover your cockpit man.  Rondar cockpit nonskid = cheese grater

Then cover your boat man, really... so UV wont be a problem

Robert Bernard

I sail barefoot! no more skinned knees! No more slip and falls on a blown tack or gybe! I recommend this to everyone.
Viper #76   Navi-Gator

Dan Tucker

If you're really not going to do it, I'll scoop up that deal if not already claimed.

I do think you're nuts though. And yes, cover the boat, save your running rigging!!
Race it like you stole it.

Charlie Visser

Quote from: Dan Tucker on July 13, 2011, 12:06:19 PM
If you're really not going to do it, I'll scoop up that deal if not already claimed.

I do think you're nuts though. And yes, cover the boat, save your running rigging!!

PM'd you, Dan.
IceBear

Charlie Visser

Quote from: Robert Bernard on July 13, 2011, 08:01:06 AM
I sail barefoot! no more skinned knees! No more slip and falls on a blown tack or gybe! I recommend this to everyone.
I hear you and know the advantages. This summer I am going to watch some other high altitude boats with new Hydroturf to see how it holds up. I really don't want to have to remove and replace it annually. Too much like annual maintenance from my wooden boat days. Hence, it is for sale. Oh, and the boat is covered, but the UV at 9200' is very potent.
$180 shipped UPS Ground.
IceBear

Charlie Visser

You guys make a compelling case. Decided to install it on 71. Sorry, Dan.
IceBear

Darren Gilbert

Hey Charlie,

I'm hoping to install mine in the next week or so.  How did the progress go for you?  Any tips on the install?

Can you post up a few pics?

Cheers!
Darren
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Greg Jackson

Quote from: Darren Gilbert on July 15, 2011, 08:36:05 PM
Hey Charlie,

I'm hoping to install mine in the next week or so.  How did the progress go for you?  Any tips on the install?

Can you post up a few pics?

Cheers!
Darren

Darren,

I installed mine a month ago. The biggest tip that I can think of is the install around the ends of the foot chalks. When I tried to fit it at the front of the chalks I tried to strech it. In the end, the glue wouldn't stick it down. When I got to the back of the chalks, I "bunched" it and it worked much better.

Glen Vanheel also mentioned to me that you can use a hair dryer or heat gun to allow the turf to strech. I will try that in my one problem area once I can manage to get out of the house now that it is >100 degrees here in AZ.

I'll try to get pics this evening and write some more...

Greg
USA 46
heroin

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Darren Gilbert on July 15, 2011, 08:36:05 PM

Any tips on the install?

Darren

Yep, there's a extensive recent thread about this:

http://forum.viper640.org/index.php?topic=785.0

I did mine in six pieces around the foot chalks from one large size sheet of the diamond milled stuff.  With rounded off edges it looks real "pro".  It reaches about 2 ft aft of the main sheet blocks.  More details in said thread.

East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Matt Harden

Hey guys!  I was looking to put hydroturf on my Viper and was wanting to see if there were any pics and any more install tips.
Thanks