the I just put my new boat together and have questions thread...

Started by Ben Jacobsen, July 03, 2011, 09:43:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke Porter

Quote from: Ben Jacobsen on July 13, 2011, 12:19:59 AM
how are you attaching it to the boom?  I have the suction cup and bar/post mounts, but I'm thinking of getting a super clamp and the tripod mount...

I took the helmet mount with the straps and just strapped it on. It took a couple of tries to get it not to move but it seems to work just fine. Then it was a matter of remembering to invert the image before I shot the video .... When I get a chance I'll build something to put on the engine mount like the other cool people.

Luke.
"Porkchop"
Can 166
Halifax, NS

Ben Jacobsen

^ oh, yeah, duh!  Didn't think of EITHER of those two.  The motor mount should be easy as soon as I figure out the threads, but I think I like the idea of the boom mount better as it aims right at the action the entire time anyway.  I'll play with that this weekend hopefully.

Anyway, this was sure a great sight when we pulled into the lot last night:

Vinnie moved us all into one section of the lot, looks amazing to have 10 of us all lined up, plus when we're all rigging or de-rigging it makes it even more social.

As for racing, our normal crew couldn't make it last night, so my wife offered to join us.  This is HUGE for me honestly, as she's raced on the Etchells and Vector and even a few times on our viper 830, but she never really liked it and lost interest enough that she never sailed on the open.  Well, we went out and got a 6-3-3 and were even in the lead of the second race for a bit (until I let Dad drive ;)).  She had a blast, so hopefully we can sort out her work schedule and do it again.  Being in first for half a race and blowing it because we didn't cover felt great and crappy at the same time (covering meant going near an active start on the downwind leg which my dad didn't want to do with my wife on board).  OD is sooooooo much fun again though.

Simon Thomas

Great photo. But I'm guessing the boat in the center won the race- He has the only straight rig!!!!!

Matt Sole

So Ben are you the blue hull in the middle? Or is that Daves? too many white boats for my liking...oh sorry platinum
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Drew Harper

That's F'N AWESOME.

Ben, I bought a Manfroto universal camera mount kit....fits damn near everythiing.

Quote from: Ben Jacobsen on July 13, 2011, 07:49:36 AM
^ oh, yeah, duh!  Didn't think of EITHER of those two.  The motor mount should be easy as soon as I figure out the threads, but I think I like the idea of the boom mount better as it aims right at the action the entire time anyway.  I'll play with that this weekend hopefully.

Anyway, this was sure a great sight when we pulled into the lot last night:

Vinnie moved us all into one section of the lot, looks amazing to have 10 of us all lined up, plus when we're all rigging or de-rigging it makes it even more social.

As for racing, our normal crew couldn't make it last night, so my wife offered to join us.  This is HUGE for me honestly, as she's raced on the Etchells and Vector and even a few times on our viper 830, but she never really liked it and lost interest enough that she never sailed on the open.  Well, we went out and got a 6-3-3 and were even in the lead of the second race for a bit (until I let Dad drive ;)).  She had a blast, so hopefully we can sort out her work schedule and do it again.  Being in first for half a race and blowing it because we didn't cover felt great and crappy at the same time (covering meant going near an active start on the downwind leg which my dad didn't want to do with my wife on board).  OD is sooooooo much fun again though.
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Ben Jacobsen

Quote from: Matt Sole on July 13, 2011, 12:41:12 PM
So Ben are you the blue hull in the middle? Or is that Daves? too many white boats for my liking...oh sorry platinum

nope, we're all white just like the other sluff was.  We're the one parked next to the guy with the high water trailer with the massive dock box.....  you wouldn't know him would you?

Quote from: Drew Harper on July 13, 2011, 03:54:22 PMBen, I bought a Manfroto universal camera mount kit....fits damn near everythiing.

nice, thanks.

Matt Rowlinson

Quote from: Brad Boston on July 07, 2011, 12:34:54 PM
Hey Ben,

We tighten ours up for Heavier air but I believe the rule says that you need to do all this before you put your main up for the day....It does help in the breeze to have less headstay sag.

Brad

Hey Brad--about how much?  1 turn, 2 turns?  So far we have only tightened the uppers.

thanks--Matt

Brian Shores

Quote from: Matt Rowlinson on July 15, 2011, 12:10:14 PM
Quote from: Brad Boston on July 07, 2011, 12:34:54 PM
Hey Ben,

We tighten ours up for Heavier air but I believe the rule says that you need to do all this before you put your main up for the day....It does help in the breeze to have less headstay sag.

Brad

Hey Brad--about how much?  1 turn, 2 turns?  So far we have only tightened the uppers.

thanks--Matt

Doesn't putting turns on your uppers effectively accomplish the same goal by tightening the forestay when the mast bends?  I was under the impression the forestay was a set and forget kind of thing.  I'm curious how many additional turns on the uppers would equal putting turns on the forestay in heavy breeze.

Jeff Jones

Good questions, i'm terrible with rig tune and cant wait to hear what some of the sharper guys have to say on this.

First i have to admit that i've never touched mine, or even measured it - i should (forestay that is).

I think the way Brad explained it is that a shorter forestay is easier to tension?   Dont want to put words in your mouth B, is that right?    I thought dropping the mast back opened your slot a bit which was good in heavy breeze?   What about the affect on helm?

Adding upper tension seems to help a bit but the mast is so bendy it doesnt seem you get much tension until the lowers catch.    Mast chocks help in the same way by limiting or resisting the bend yes?

GNAV - helps keep the mast bent but it shouldn't help your forestay tension because the whole rig will just rock forward yes?

I've just been cranking on upper tension as the breeze builds to help keep the boat under control and dont do much with my lowers until the main starts inverting or maybe a bit more lower tension if it's lumpy or medium breeze to keep some drive in the main.

In super light stuff it seems you'd benifit from less lower tension which would flatten the main and give you a softer forestay.

Perhaps moving the sailplan a bit forward in the breeze helps you offset some weather helm since most of use seem to keep the main on hard and play the jib?

I'm so confused now.  Thanks Shores!   

Sorry, for the hijack

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Jeff Jones on July 15, 2011, 03:00:50 PM

I think the way Brad explained it is that a shorter forestay is easier to tension?   Dont want to put words in your mouth B, is that right?    I thought dropping the mast back opened your slot a bit which was good in heavy breeze?   What about the affect on helm?

I've always been under the impression that the headstay only adjusts the center of pressure of the rig, which obviously affects the helm.  The goal then being to adjust the headstay to minimize helm, all this particular going upwind.

Is that correct?

It makes sense that in heavier air you'd maybe want to change it.  Reason being you flatten out the main, which certainly could move the center of pressure of the main/jib combo.

I'm curious as well.
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)